So I was ranting about mushrooms the other week. Coincidentally, my bio lab last week was focused entirely on fungus. The bio department provided dried morels, chanterelles, truffles, puff balls, and any relatively common species on display. I wondered how long those shriveled toadstools had been encased in cheap plastic cases. Laying there embarrassed; all the mystery and life sucked out of them.
My peers do not share my enthusiasm towards fungi. Considering the way in which information is "taught" to students in modern society, at least from where I am standing, I can't blame them. The ways (and I use the plural word "ways" out of respect for the rare professors that do not use power points) professors present what could be colorful information to their students is...dry. It all feels so rushed, frantic, and lacking genuineness. There's little room for anything personal or passionate in university lecture halls of several hundred students. And I understand why that might be. But I don't think it has to be so distant. Why does the information presented feel so inaccessible? I think a professor's duty should be to make their audience curious. Not afraid and unable. To give an example of a more intimate learning environment, maybe a bit dramatic but viable nonetheless, watch Leo Buscaglia's talk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmfWSQspSo4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmfWSQspSo4
The other event I found cool was my bio lab this week. We got to reach our hands into freezing salt water and touch sea cucumbers, frilly worms, anemones, and even a horseshoe crab. I mean, I got to pick up and hold a horseshoe crab. Practically a living fossil. Now that's a better example of intriguing your audience.
Sources: Henri Cartier Bressen, lookmind.com, and dayrecipe.com.



No comments:
Post a Comment